Monday, April 4, 2016

Budabust.

April Fools

Entrance of the Grandio
I'm not sure how to describe my first 24 hours in Budapest. We left immediately after class on April 1st (P.S. you are welcome for my April fools joke, America) and arrived to the city via train around 7:30pm. After withdrawing Hungarian currency and figuring out which direction to go, we walked about 20 minutes to our hostel. We were welcomed by a graffitied entrance, bars on the windows, clothing hanging from the trees, and a drunken staff. I will leave you with these pictures to give you a little more of a visual representation of the 'beauty' of the Grandio Party Hostel.
Grandio's house 'rules' and 'amenities' 
I was so overwhelmed by the hostel I was supposed to stay in for the next few days and was ready to leave immediately after walking into our room. Luckily my Mommy(here she is saving the day again) was on top of what a disaster the place was and rebooked Sami and I, as well as five other girls in a hotel down the street. We were all extremely flustered, but got moved to the hotel and then had a comforting American dinner at Burger King. Once we returned to the hotel we decided it would be better to stay in for the evening and tomorrow would be a better day. Saturday morning we decided to go on a free walking tour. On our way to the meeting point we stopped at a bakery to get breakfast. Sami and I had the money that was refunded from the hostel and were trying to split it up. We were at a table in the corner away from the entrance and all of a sudden a hand reaches in between us and runs away with 20,000ft (roughly 72 USD). Sami tried to stop him, but was unsuccessful and the man ran out, but was shortly followed by another man who sprinted after him and got our money back. I wish I could have taken a picture to capture this moment, sadly it wasn't possible. 

Fools no more.

View from the top of the dinner cruise. (Ft. a woman's elbow)
We finally made it to the meeting point at Vörösmarty Square and were greeted by a very friendly tour guide, Andrew. He ushered us around the city for two and a half hours and gave us great tips and tricks for the rest of our stay. That evening we decided to book a dinner cruise. Best $40 I have spent! We had a buffet of traditional Hungarian food, three free drinks, live music, and the most beautiful view of the historical building along the Danube. The cruise finished our second day on a much higher note than the first which was a happy feeling.  Our last day in Budapest was spent at the Széchenyi Thermal Baths. The facility had 17 'pools' as well as various spa amenities. It was such a relaxing and therapeutic way to end a trip that had started horribly. Overall the city of Budapest was fine. It was a city culturally different from our home in Nebraska, due to the belligerent drunks that roam the streets late at night and the early hours of the morning, and the way men 'cat call' and sometimes even touch women at any hour of the day. To end this on a more positive note, I was very grateful to be in a city that had an insane amount of English. We were welcomed in English, heard English almost always while walking, and most signs were even in English. So, thank you Budapest for having me, however I will not be coming again. 


Széchenyi Thermal Baths

P.S.

Things I am so thankful for:

my Mommy
wifi

people back home that talk to me regularly 

Olomouc feeling like home
Sprite 
being in Europe for three months
Spring is finally here


No comments:

Post a Comment