Sunday, April 10, 2016

History Has It's Eyes On You

A  day trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau

As you can tell by the subject of this post it won't be the happiest of blogs, but I will try to lighten things up by the end. On Saturday we took a day trip to the concentration camps Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland. I was very hesitant, but interested in this trip even before I applied for the Nebraska Semester Abroad Program. The Holocaust has been a time in history that has always drew my attention, however even if I read every history book and memoir I would not have been prepared for what I would see and feel on our three and a half hour tour. As we approached the museum I looked at the window and saw the train tracks that I have read and been taught about. The tracks transported people to these camps where in most cases only their souls would leave. Our first stop was at Auschwitz II. The camp was made up of different blocks or buildings. Each building had a different purpose. Some were used for barracks or housing of the Jews, Gypsy's, and Poles others were 'hospitals' or like block 11 a building of torture and experiments. Our tour guide explained to us what would happen when a train would arrive. The passengers would be unloaded from their small cargo car, given instructions to leave their belongings, and by the move a thumb from a solider their fate would be decided. A movement of the thumb to one direction would mean the person would be registered and put to work in the camp a move to the other direction and they were sent directly to a gas chamber to be exterminated. Later in the day we stood in the exact spot that this selection took place and I was overwhelmed realizing that only a short time a go someone else was standing exactly where I was with their fate in another persons finger. Our tour guide told us a story from a survivor that witnessed a younger boy sent to be registered, but his mother and sister were sent the other way. The mother fought for her family to stay together and the soldiers agreed, little did she know that they were all being led to their deaths.  We were also led down the path the the gas chambers which were located in a forest very close to the camp. The chambers at Birkenau were destroyed before the liberation of the camp, but I could still feel my stomach drop as we approached the ruins. We were also led into a block that housed all of the belongings of the people that were brought to the camp. The soldiers would tell them to leave their things in various places and at various times and would lie that they would get them back to keep them cooperative. Part of this building also had clothing and hair that was removed before the people were killed. We walked in to a room that was floor to ceiling covered in women's hair. We were not allowed to take pictures in this room, but even if we were I'm not sure I would have one, as I had to almost immediately remove myself from the room. The people that were chosen to live obviously lived a very miserable life and most would pass away within months of arriving. They were given three meals a day and were allowed to relieve themselves twice a day and had to work around 11 hours a day. Due to malnourishment many people suffered from bloody diarrhea and had no option but to relieve themselves while they were working or while the slept.  My heart ached and still does for the humans that could do this to other human beings.  After the liberation of the camp and it being converted in to a museum survivors were the ones to give the first tours to first visitors of Auschwitz that would come and leave voluntarily. In the end I cannot even put in to words what I felt or saw during my tour. I wish this could somehow be a field trip every person in the world is required to go on, but until then we must remember to love and accept one another for our differences.

Pictures used as a roll call every morning. Everyone pictured died in the camp. 
Shoes removed from the perished

Ruins of the gas chamber at Birkenau

A little bit of happiness

Hi. I thought I'd give all of you (Hi Mommy) a little look to the future of my trip so this post would end on less of a sour note. This week we leave on a class trip to Vienna, Austria and Venice, Italy. We get to spend a week exploring these cities with our professors and tour guides, Jan and Martin and then get to go on Spring Break! Sami, Molly, and I are spending a day in Milan and then jet setting up to the UK for a nice little break without an language barrier and we get to explore the beautiful cities of London and Dublin. This trip is going so incredibly fast that when we get home we will only have 38 short days left in Europe. I am so unbelievably grateful that I am here and can't wait to see all your beautiful faces and drink all the Starbucks when I get home. Until then I am happy to call the beautiful city of Olomouc home and will probably be homesick for this city while on Spring break and even for a little bit when I get back to the states. I hope this little blip lightened the mood a bit. Can't wait to tell you all about my spring break adventures!

P.S.

Weird things I realized I haven't done in my time here, but would do at home.

Worn a seat belt
Made a phone call (with out wifi)
Drove
Danced (like real danced not my weird club dancing)
Worked
Auditioned for something
Received a smile when I make awkward eye contact with someone
Cooked a meal(don't really do this at home either)



See you next time,
Brianna


No comments:

Post a Comment